Go Back   finnbass.com > Finnbass Affiliates > Steed Basses

Old 17-04-2010, 10:39 PM
The Baldrick of Bass

IT certainly is looking good.
Can you tell us how the caps/resistors are wired up and the reason for this as opposed to the normal small caps that are usually used?

Old 18-04-2010, 08:04 PM

This is a vintage correct .05 oil paper caps and NOS resistors circuit for 1960 and early 1961, late 61 changed to disc caps and resistors.

The only reason I'm using them is because thats how it was done on the originals.

for wiring diagrams the one on the fender site for the 62 has the right one although it has the disc caps and not the oil papers.

These circuits sound great although they do suffer a bit from lack of volume and the resistors take away from the tone a bit but these can be bypassed if you want. Leo obviously knew this hence changing over to the vol, vol and tone circuit.

Old 19-04-2010, 11:50 AM
The Baldrick of Bass

Ah right thanks. It's always nice to know why something is out of the ordinary.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:35 PM

some belated updates....

Friday is nearly over so here is another update on the J..

Bit of bad news about the build, the neck has moved a bit too much since cutting the shape so I'm going to scrap it and start again. I would try and work around it but there not enough meat left to get it back to being flat and true. This is why I leave the timber to settle after cutting. Most of the time they don't move much at all, but this was one of the blanks that did! OH well, thats the nature of wood!

So heres a little interesting thing for you, after realising the neck was going to the land of the scrap I decided to make the truss rod routing jig.

and after the first pass (note the scrap neck being my test subject!)

Works perfectly! Bang in the center and perfect depths etc!

not as exciting as the usual posts I know...I have been doing a bit of restoration work this week though which has seen most of my time!

Right I gotta make me another neck

Old 04-05-2010, 06:36 PM

Pickups routed

perfect tight fit with the covers, here tested with control plate and a pickguard

Pin router holes plugged with maple dowells. (I make the dowells myself too haha)

body fine sanded ready for the 50:50 sealer coat, followed by more sanding and then grain filler!

cavities initialled and dated

I'll put the body away in a plastic bag till I do the spraying.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:37 PM

After last weeks discovery that the neck had moved a bit too much for my liking I started a fresh neck today and have it to the same stage as the last one. I need to let it rest for 48 hours now to let it settle, then I will rout for the truss rod and do the nut hole and connecting hole. This neck is twice as nice as the last one too, really lovely old growth flame maple!

Perfect tight fit, no screws required

cheers for looking!

Old 04-05-2010, 07:16 PM
Grumpy old drunk...

That shot with the tort plate and control plate really starts to show the promise of this bass...

I like the fact that you make your own dowels

Old 04-05-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
That shot with the tort plate and control plate really starts to show the promise of this bass...

I like the fact that you make your own dowels
Cheers Steve,

Haha the dowels...well i could buy them but its much funner to put a rough stick of maple into a drill chuck and then whizz it round on a specially made block with a right angled notch cut out lined with abrasive! that way you can make dowels to the size that you need.